Registration as a British Citizen is the process of registering for British citizenship. There are many ways and different eligibility criterias to obtain the UK’s citizenship. So if you want to know about the requirements and the process details, as you scroll down, you will find out all the related details.
Who is eligible for Registration as a British Citizen?
So many people are allowed and eligible to register as a British citizen and for British citizenship like the Nationals of British, children of the British mothers or the people who have given up their British citizenship before.
Now the registration process differs slightly for each of the categories that you are applying in and the process generally includes the application form, all the required documents, the eligibility requirements and more. Now below mentioned are the categories under which you can apply in any one that suits you best.
Also as you read further, you will learn about the process of each of the categories in detail. So continue to read to get all the information.
The categories are as follows:
- British Nationality
- Born in the UK
- British Mother before 1983
- Given up Citizenship
- Gibraltar and Hong Kong
- Born in UK after 1983
- Born before July 1 2006 to a British father
Now the details of process of each of the category is as:
- British Nationality- All the nationals of Britain are eligible for British citizenship. The two things are-
- If you are a British national and also a citizen or national of any other country, you should then file an ‘application form BOTA’ to get registered for citizenship.
- And if you are a British National and have no other citizenship or nationality, then in that case, you should file an ‘application form BOS’ to register for British citizenship.
Now the British nationals are those who are:
- British overseas citizen
- British subject
- British protected person
- British overseas territories citizen
- Born in the UK- So whoever is born in the UK on or after January, 1983, and also lived there at least till the age of 10, may be able to do Registration as a British Citizen through the T category application form. Now the requirements for eligibility are as follows:
- A person is born in the UK.
- A person who was born in the UK after 1 January 1983.
- A person who is over the age of 10.
- A person who has not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in each of the initial 10 years of his life.
- This above written requirement can also be waived if your stay away or outside the UK was due to some exceptional circumstances.
- British Mother before 1983- If a person is born to a British mother before 1983 then you may be able to register for citizenship by using the application form UKM.
Now the requirements for the eligibility are as:
- You must have been born before 1983.
- You have become a citizen of the UK and the colonies by descent if the women were able to pass the citizenship onto their children the same way as men do at the time of your birth.
- You should be of a good character.
- You would have had the right of abode in the United Kingdoms and have also become a citizen of the UK on January 1, 1983, in case you have become a citizen of the UK and the colonies.
- Given up Citizenship- If you are someone who has renounced or given up their citizenship either as the citizen of a British overseas territory or as a British citizen, then you may be able to do Registration as a British Citizen by using the RS category application form.
Now if you had given up or renounce your UK or British citizenship and now you want to get it back, then you must register for your citizenship using the application form RS1 and the eligibility requirements for it are as:
- You were born, registered and naturalised in the UK only.
- You must be a registered citizen of the UK and colonies in an independent Commonwealth.
- You made a declaration to want to give up British citizenship after 1 January, 1983.
Now if you are the one who has given up or renounce their British Overseas citizenship and now want to claim it back, then you need to register for the citizenship using the application form RS2 and so the requirements for its eligibility are:
- You must be of sound mind.
- You have made a declaration to give up your British Overseas Territories citizenship after 26 February, 2002.
- You must have made a declaration to give up your British Overseas Territories citizenship between 1 January 1983 and 25 February, 2002.
- You have made a declaration to give up your citizenship of the United Kingdom.
- Born in the UK after 1983- The people who fulfil the requirements and the criteria can fill the form MN1 to register as a citizen of the UK.
Requirements are as:
- Must have been born in the UK after 1982.
- Only minors ie. younger than 18 years of age can apply for this.
- Either of your parents must be settled in the UK or have become a citizen after your birth to qualify for it.
Some of the other ways to apply for the British citizenship and do the Registration as a British Citizen are:
- If you are married or are in a civil partnership with a British citizen.
- If you have ‘status of settled’ under the EU settlement scheme.
- If you have ILR ie. Indefinite Leave to Remain.
- If you are stateless.
- Must have been born before July 1 2006 to a British father.
- If you are naturalised as a British overseas territories citizen in Gibraltar and Hong Kong after 21 May 2002.
For more blogs: Reinceforrnc
So if you are someone who wants to do Registration as a British Citizen, then as you must have read above, there are certain requirements that you must fulfil before you apply for the citizenship and to be eligible for British citizenship. So if you are eligible and meet the criteria, then go and start your application process now with the required application form that is mentioned above with each category.
Comments are closed.